Graphs of H and S

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

K Stefanescu 2I

Graphs of H and S

Postby K Stefanescu 2I » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:42 am

I understand why S is at a minimum at equilibrium, but why is H at a maximum when this occurs?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 714 times

Re: Graphs of H and S

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 pm

At equilibrium, the energy (i.e. enthalpy) is at a minimum, whereas the entropy (i.e. delta S is) at a maximum. For example, if you observed a gas in a cylinder, over time it would occupy the entire cylinder volume and reach equilibrium; thus, at maximum volume it will have the greatest number of positions and entropy is at maximum. For enthalpy at a minimum, you can think of a ball on a hill. The ball will naturally reach equilibrium by losing energy to reach the bottom of the hill. Thus, enthalpy is at a minimum at equilibrium.

Mike Vinci 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Graphs of H and S

Postby Mike Vinci 2B » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm also a little confused with exactly why this occurs, however I did look at the formula for delta G=0, and found that delta S= delta H/ T. If we maximize delta H, and considering that delta S is proportional to it, wouldn't that also maximize delta S? I could be analyzing the wrong equation, but if that is not the case, how would you also relate the question asked to the one I presented above?

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”