Cp and Cv

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i
Been upvoted: 1 time

Cp and Cv

Postby GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 pm

How in depth are we expected to know the derivation of and utilization of the constants Cp and Cv. Are we supposed to understand the relationship in how
Cp - Cv = R ? Are we supposed to understand how these constants change with degree of freedoms? Please elaborate how greatly in depth we are supposed to understand these concepts, thank you.

Tiffany Dao 1A

Re: Cp and Cv

Postby Tiffany Dao 1A » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

I think you don't need to really know too much about it because they give it to you on the constants and equations sheet. I just think you need to know that it's for a monatomic gas. Also, you should know that it increases for linear/diatomic gases [Cv =(5/2)R Cp=(7/2)R] and non-linear gases [Cv =3R Cp=4R]

Hyein Cha 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Cp and Cv

Postby Hyein Cha 2I » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:01 pm

GabrielGarciaDiscussion1i wrote:How in depth are we expected to know the derivation of and utilization of the constants Cp and Cv. Are we supposed to understand the relationship in how
Cp - Cv = R ? Are we supposed to understand how these constants change with degree of freedoms? Please elaborate how greatly in depth we are supposed to understand these concepts, thank you.

Pretty sure you don't need to know much about them. Equations for Cv and Cp are given in the equation sheets, and just know that Cv is when volume is constant, and Cp is when pressure is constant

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”