when doesn't a solid's temp change?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

when doesn't a solid's temp change?

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 pm

4F.3 (a) Calculate the change in entropy of a block of copper at 25 8C that absorbs 65 J of energy from a heater. (b) If the block of copper is at 100. 8C and it absorbs 65 J of energy from the heater, what is its entropy change? (c) Explain any difference in entropy change.

I understand how the book wants me to do this problem- q/T- but I am so confused as to how we can reasonably make the assumption that T doesn't change. It would have to be a BLOCK of copper to not have a temp change, right? Copper is a metal, so it conducts heat well, so has a low heat capacity. q=CdeltaT, a small amount of heat combined with a low heat capacity makes for a large temp change. What situations allow for this assumption to be reasonably made for metals?

Sahil Jog 1F

Re: when doesn't a solid's temp change?

Postby Sahil Jog 1F » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:33 am

You're definitely correct. You would need to first calculate the temperature change of the copper as it absorbs 65 J of energy, and once you get that temperature, you would then calculate the change in entropy by plugging it into the entropy equation that deals with changes in temperature. Hope this helps.

Nick Fiorentino 1E

Re: when doesn't a solid's temp change?

Postby Nick Fiorentino 1E » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:29 am

I'm sure it does change but for the purposes of this question I don't think it matters. That may be a topic addressed in more advanced classes but this class seems to simplify thermodynamics to a certain extent, because it is a really complicated topic

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”