Determining the Change in Entropy of the Surroundings without Being Given the Reversibility

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cole Woulbroun 1J

Determining the Change in Entropy of the Surroundings without Being Given the Reversibility

Postby Cole Woulbroun 1J » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:22 am

In the homework problem 4I.3, the chanfe in the entropy of the surroundings is asked for, however it does not specify whether the process was reversible or irreversible. Will this information be specified if asked for on the final?

ShravanPatel2B

Re: Determining the Change in Entropy of the Surroundings without Being Given the Reversibility

Postby ShravanPatel2B » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:37 am

I usually assume that the reaction is irreversible unless stated that it is reversible in the problem.

Frank He 4G

Re: Determining the Change in Entropy of the Surroundings without Being Given the Reversibility

Postby Frank He 4G » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:19 pm

For this problem, it seems like we don't have to know the reversibility. I solved it correctly myself under the assumption that the Ssur simply equals the standard entropy of vaporization of the substance (which is given) adjusted for the amount of the substance. So I suppose the underlying assumption here is that standard entropy of vaporizations are equal to the Ssur of vaporization, at standard conditions.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”