holding pressure/volume constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Payton Kammerer 2B

holding pressure/volume constant

Postby Payton Kammerer 2B » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 pm

I've generally noticed that we tend to alternately hold either pressure of volume constant for certain situations in thermodynamics, and I am wondering what the benefits are to each and what different ways that might be accomplished in a field setting. So much of what we learn is lab-based, but how might an ecologist do these experiments while in a remote location? How do you do that with a living organism, when things like blood pressure and volume are constantly in flux?

vpena_1I

Re: holding pressure/volume constant

Postby vpena_1I » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm guessing if you want certain measurements to be accurate, you'd wanna use a model in which you can control all variables. I don't think doing the kinds of experiments we talk about are very helpful in the situations you're describing.

Tauhid Islam- 1H

Re: holding pressure/volume constant

Postby Tauhid Islam- 1H » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:00 am

I think that by holding pressure and volume constant, we can observe certain phenomenon through a more systematic, concrete and mathematically fitting lens. Through this experimentation, we are able to learn a lot of chemistry and how certain chemically properties like thermodynamics and the flow of energy in chemical reactions work. It's not entirely representative of reality, but creating ideal conditions and observing that gives us a good baseline estimate to go off.

Return to “Concepts & Calculations Using Second Law of Thermodynamics”