larger molecule vs gas phase

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmeen Kaur 2D
Been upvoted: 1 time

larger molecule vs gas phase

Postby Jasmeen Kaur 2D » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:21 pm

The professor mentioned in class that you can generalize that even when you are comparing complicated vs simple molecules like ethanol (l) versus helium (g), the gas phase will have the higher entropy. But I was looking at a past midterm question, and I saw that C8H18(l) has higher molar entropy than CH4(g) and the reasoning was that because C8H18 was a larger molecule. I'm very confused, if someone could help! Is there a certain threshold on molecular complexity? The professor mentioned that mostly gases will have a higher entropy. How do you know that C8H18 has a higher molar entropy when it is a liquid and CH4 is a gas? How much larger does the molecule actually have to be so that the phases don't determine the higher molar entropy?

Andrew Tsai 3I

Re: larger molecule vs gas phase

Postby Andrew Tsai 3I » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:46 pm

I don't think there's a set answer. I believe on the test I would just focus on the phase changes, since I can't see the test problem you're referring to. If you go from liquid to gas then entropy is increasing.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”