"Favorability"

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace Boyd 2F

"Favorability"

Postby Grace Boyd 2F » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm

I was wondering what it means when an outcome is favorable. I know what qualifies for the outcome to be favorable, but what does being favorable tell us about the outcome?

Nicole Nikolov 1K

Re: "Favorability"

Postby Nicole Nikolov 1K » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Favorability can be determined based on whether delta G is positive or negative; therefore, whether a reaction is spontaneous (favorable) is determined based on the changes in enthalpy and entropy values of the reaction. So you would need to look at the relative values of delta H and delta S to determine whether the outcome is favorable.

The fact that a reaction is spontaneous can tell us a lot of things, depending on what you're looking for. For example, it could tell us that the products have lower Gibbs free energy than the reactions, if entropy is increasing or decreasing based on the relative value of delta H, etc. It all depends on the information you're given in the question and what you're looking to find.

Postby 404995677 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 pm

If the outcome is favorable, it also means that the reaction is favorable, so the reaction is favoring the products. This can be determined from a negative delta G value.

Beza Ayalew 1I

Postby Beza Ayalew 1I » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Does it also tell us that the reaction is able to happen without an addition of energy?

Jessica_Singh_1J

Postby Jessica_Singh_1J » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am

Beza, generally I would say yes because "favorable" reactions refer to spontaneous exergonic reactions which tend to occur without an input of energy.

Michelle Steinberg2J

Postby Michelle Steinberg2J » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Beza Ayalew 1I wrote:Does it also tell us that the reaction is able to happen without an addition of energy?

I would also agree with the statement above. A spontaneous or favorable reaction will occur over time or naturally without any prompt from its surroundings. Dr. Lavelle used the example of a boulder going downhill. This does not require energy (thus it is spontaneous) -- however, the reverse process would require the input of energy and would not be considered spontaneous.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”