Boltzmann Equation

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aya Shokair- Dis 2H

Boltzmann Equation

Postby Aya Shokair- Dis 2H » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:28 pm

From my understanding, I thought Boltzmann's equation was used to calculate only the positional entropy with out taking into account the thermal entropy. So ideally, if there is any positional entropy left at K=0.
However, in the book it says that the Boltzmann formula enables us to calculate the absolute entropy at any temperature.
If we were using any temperature, then does it account for thermal entropy as well?

Aya Shokair- Dis 2H

Re: Boltzmann Equation

Postby Aya Shokair- Dis 2H » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:30 pm

Oh, I think I can answer my own question lol.
When you have an increase in thermal entropy due to an increase in temperature, the system is allowed more possible configurations or mircostates. So that's how it takes into account thermal entropy.
With an increase in temperature, there is an increase in in W (degeneracy).

LMendoza 2I

Postby LMendoza 2I » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm

Yes you are correct. As the temperature increases, molecules occupy more energy states so there is a higher degeneracy W.

Clarissa Molina 1D

Postby Clarissa Molina 1D » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Yes, with an increase in temperature, there is an increase in available microstates so W increases as well. Since W increases, the entropy increases as well.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”