Derivation of Boltzwann equation for n moles of gas

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Cameron Sasmor 1G

Derivation of Boltzwann equation for n moles of gas

Postby Cameron Sasmor 1G » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:12 pm

I don't understand how kB is changed into nR in the Boltzwann equation for n moles of gas. Can someone explain this please?

Neil DSilva 1L

Re: Derivation of Boltzwann equation for n moles of gas

Postby Neil DSilva 1L » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:24 pm

All of this assumes two states.
So we have as our equation.
For 1 mole (NA),

We use the log rule to get
, so we get
This is for one mole, so if we have n moles, we just multiple that by n to get

If you have n moles, that's , and plugging that into the equations above and following all the same rules will get you

Let's assume
We have
Then, we use the log rule to get:
This simplifies to , where , so we have

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:16 pm

I assume you are probably more comfortable with the gas constant R rather than the Boltzmann constant k. These two are really just the same constant, but on different scales.

R has units of J/mol*K and relates to the entropy of 1 mole of particles. R is "macroscopic"
k has units of J/K and relates to the entropy of just 1 particle, so we often say k is "microscopic"

S = k*ln(W) gives the entropy per particle of a system with W states. So Nk*ln(W) is the total entropy of N particles. Dividing N by avogadro's number gives n, the number of moles. Multiplying k by avogadro's number gives R. Since we divided and multiplied by the same number, nothing has changed, and Nk = nR.

Justin Le 2I

Postby Justin Le 2I » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 pm

I would recommend remembering the log rule where the exponent can be turned into a coefficient. If the equation is left as it is, your calculator might overflow like with one of the homework problems.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”