Calculating microstates

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

KNguyen_1I

Calculating microstates

Postby KNguyen_1I » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:01 pm

Today in lecture we started covering the Boltzmann's equation, which involves calculating the number of microstates to calculate entropy.
How do you calculate the microstates, even for a simple two state system like the one Dr. Lavelle showed in class? I don't understand the conceptual reasoning nor the mathematics.

ThomasNguyen_Dis1H

Re: Calculating microstates

Postby ThomasNguyen_Dis1H » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Calculating the number of microstates is just the number of states to the power of how many molecule. For example, if we had 2 states aka the left and the right and 2 molecules you can have 4 possible outcomes. Molecule A and B in left and right together, or the two molecules on opposite sides which totals to 4 possible microstates. It's just statistics and all you need to know is W=2^n where n is number of molecules.

Charlene Datu 2E

Postby Charlene Datu 2E » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:29 pm

To clarify, this us the total number of possible combinations of states of matter that the two particles can be in? Does that mean that the base of the equation is referring to the number of particles and the exponent is referring to the number of possible states they can be in?

Subashni Rajiv 1K

Postby Subashni Rajiv 1K » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Yes, that'd be correct.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”