Using heat capacity to determine molar entropy

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessa Maheras 4F

Using heat capacity to determine molar entropy

Postby Jessa Maheras 4F » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:26 am

The textbook says that you can use heat capacity data to determine the standard molar entropy of a substance and discusses this in 4H.1, but I don't understand how this is done. Can someone explain how or the connection between heat capacity and molar entropy?

Sarah Zhari 1D

Re: Using heat capacity to determine molar entropy

Postby Sarah Zhari 1D » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:43 am

I think that the heat capacity is used in the equation , where the heat capacity is used to calculate the value of q using the equation

Jessa Maheras 4F

Postby Jessa Maheras 4F » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:53 am

Sarah Zhari 1D wrote:I think that the heat capacity is used in the equation , where the heat capacity is used to calculate the value of q using the equation

Yes that makes lots of sense thank you! From what I understand now, C=q/mdeltaT , and you can solve for q and use that to find molar entropy? Do you know what about this would make it be at standard molar entropy? (standard in specific?)

Morgan Carrington 2H

Postby Morgan Carrington 2H » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 am

Jessa Maheras 4F wrote:
Sarah Zhari 1D wrote:I think that the heat capacity is used in the equation , where the heat capacity is used to calculate the value of q using the equation

Yes that makes lots of sense thank you! From what I understand now, C=q/mdeltaT , and you can solve for q and use that to find molar entropy? Do you know what about this would make it be at standard molar entropy? (standard in specific?)

I believe that since the q values would have to be held at standard pressure (and/or temperature) in order for the change in entropy to be in standard conditions.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”