Residual Entropy

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Robert Tran 1B

Residual Entropy

Postby Robert Tran 1B » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am

What is residual entropy and how does it arise?

nehashetty_2G

Re: Residual Entropy

Postby nehashetty_2G » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:32 am

I believe residual entropy is the energy that remains even when a sample is brought to 0 Kelvin caused by disorder in the sample.

Labiba Sardar 2A

Postby Labiba Sardar 2A » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:06 pm

How is residual entropy different from the regular entropy that we've been using for any other problem (for example, like delta S)?

Labiba Sardar 2A

Postby Labiba Sardar 2A » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:08 pm

nehashetty_2G wrote:I believe residual entropy is the energy that remains even when a sample is brought to 0 Kelvin caused by disorder in the sample.

What causes there to still be some energy, allowing it to have some disorder? I thought that at 0 Kelvin, all particles stop moving, therefore there wouldn't be any disorder.

claudia_1h

Postby claudia_1h » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 pm

What causes there to still be some energy, allowing it to have some disorder? I thought that at 0 Kelvin, all particles stop moving, therefore there wouldn't be any disorder.

At 0 K, there is no contribution to entropy from rotational/thermal motion. However, there is, for most molecules, residual entropy that comes from the general inherent disorder of the molecule. A perfectly ordered molecule at 0 K would have 0 residual entropy and therefore 0 overall entropy.

Labiba Sardar 2A

Postby Labiba Sardar 2A » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:30 pm

claudia_1h wrote:

At 0 K, there is no contribution to entropy from rotational/thermal motion. However, there is, for most molecules, residual entropy that comes from the general inherent disorder of the molecule. A perfectly ordered molecule at 0 K would have 0 residual entropy and therefore 0 overall entropy.

So does that mean that ideally, there would be 0 overall entropy at 0 K, but it's more realistic for there to be some disorder for most molecules at 0 K?

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”