weird residual entropy formula from class

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Vainberg 1D

weird residual entropy formula from class

Postby Emily Vainberg 1D » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:14 pm

I am looking over my lecture notes and found this formula

S= n ln 2R
- can someone explain when you use this formula rather than the typical formula for residual entropy ?

typical formula:
S= Kb * ln W

Ryan Narisma 4G

Re: weird residual entropy formula from class

Postby Ryan Narisma 4G » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:57 pm

Hello Emily Vainberg 1D! To answer your question, the equation that you wrote in your notes is specifically for 1 mol of a species that has two possible microstates. If you were to plug these conditions in the boltzmann equation (S = kB ln W) you'd get S = kB ln 2^(1 mol = 6.022 x 10^23 particles). Remember that in the boltzmann equation, degeneracy is equal to the number of microstates raised to the number of atoms, particles, etc. So if you have avogadro's number in the exponent, using laws of logarithms you can multiply that out (a log x = log x^a). The boltzmann constant times avogadro's number is the same as R. Then you'd get S = nR ln 2. The n comes into play because it depends on how many moles of the species you have. I hope this helps!

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”