Boltzman's Entropy Equation

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Andrew F 2L

Boltzman's Entropy Equation

Postby Andrew F 2L » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:32 pm

I need help understanding the idea of microstates and why we use them in Boltzmann's equation for entropy. Is it referring to like rotational and the kinetic energy of molecules that they can occupy? Thank you!

Sukanya Mohapatra 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Boltzman's Entropy Equation

Postby Sukanya Mohapatra 2G » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Microstates is a term used to describe the number of different possible arrangements of molecular position and kinetic energy at a particular thermodynamic state. A process that gives an increase in the number of microstates increases the entropy.

Ashley Wang 4G

Postby Ashley Wang 4G » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 pm

Because Boltzmann's equation calculates the residual entropy, which is the entropy of the sample at 0 Kelvin, we are assuming the entropy arises only from positional disorder in the sample (i.e. linked to the number of microstates) that survives at that temperature, we disregard the entropy resulting from thermal energy and motion. I would say this is also disregarding the rotational and kinetic energy, since motion theoretically ceases at 0 Kelvin. The entropy thus results solely from the possible positional arrangements.

Caroline Zepecki

Postby Caroline Zepecki » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Microstates refers to the possible arrangements, so for example, when calculating W, it would be micro states ^ # of atoms

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:15 pm

Can someone please share their favorite youtube videos or graphics to help remember this? Thanks.

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”