surroundings

Boltzmann Equation for Entropy:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

nshahwan 1L

surroundings

Postby nshahwan 1L » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:53 pm

can someone explain how you find surrounding again? I just want a clearer and simpler explanation than the book.

Justin Vayakone 1C

Re: surroundings

Postby Justin Vayakone 1C » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 pm

My explanation is sort of modeled off of 4I.9. ΔS of the surr depends on the circumstances. For a reversible process, the system is doing work to push the piston, but the surroundings is giving heat/energy in order to keep internal energy of the system consistent. This means ΔS(surr) = -ΔS(sys) and ΔS(tot)=0. Depending on what variable is changing, use one of the corresponding ΔS equation we've learned to find ΔS(sys), and then multiply a negative to make it ΔS(surr). For an irreversible free expansion, the system isn't doing any work despite pushing the piston up, hence why it is free expansion. There is no heat or energy exchanged from the system to the surroundings, so ΔS(surr)=0.
Last edited by Justin Vayakone 1C on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

peteryim

Postby peteryim » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:00 am

When the reaction is reversible expansion, delta S total is zero. Thus, delta S surroundings = negative delta S system.
When reaction is irreversible free expansion, delta S total equals delta S of system, and delta S of surroundings is zero.

nshahwan 1L

Postby nshahwan 1L » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:20 pm

i guess also how would you go about solving a problem where you aren't given any entropies in the first place? Like this obviously depends on the information given in the question, but i feel like I often don't have enough information to find both. Thank you so much for the explanations tho they were simple and helped.

Mai V 4L

Postby Mai V 4L » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 pm

peteryim wrote:When the reaction is reversible expansion, delta S total is zero. Thus, delta S surroundings = negative delta S system.
When reaction is irreversible free expansion, delta S total equals delta S of system, and delta S of surroundings is zero.

Quoting this so I can access it easily

Return to “Third Law of Thermodynamics (For a Unique Ground State (W=1): S -> 0 as T -> 0) and Calculations Using Boltzmann Equation for Entropy”