Entropy

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Dianna Grigorian 1C

Entropy

Postby Dianna Grigorian 1C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:19 pm

In todays lecture, Professor Lavelle introduced the idea of entropy. I understand that entropy is an extensive property, so it depends on the number of particles. It is also a measurement of the degree of disorder in a system. But, what is the relationship between entropy and energy?

ali_boutrosdisc3H

Re: Entropy

Postby ali_boutrosdisc3H » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 pm

I also have a similar question! But what I do know is that they are somewhat inversely related: at equilibrium, a system will have the LOWEST amount of energy. However, with entropy, at equilibrium, a system will be at its maximum entropy.

Belicia Tang 1B

Re: Entropy

Postby Belicia Tang 1B » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Hey guys! So from what I understand, enthalpy and entropy are the two factors you must consider in determining whether a reaction is favorable or not. Exothermic reactions (delta H is negative) are favorable. However, just knowing that delta H is negative does not guarantee that the reaction will occur spontaneously. You must also know about the ENTROPY of the system. According to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, the natural progress of a system and its surroundings is from order to disorder. So in favorable reactions, entropy increases.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”