Entropy factors  [ENDORSED]

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Grace Boyd 2F

Entropy factors

Postby Grace Boyd 2F » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Could someone please explain to me how temperature, volume, and state of matter affect the entropy of a substance? Thank you!

Alex Nechaev 1I

Re: Entropy factors

Postby Alex Nechaev 1I » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

If you add energy to a solid, it can become a liquid. Liquids have more energy and entropy than solids. Any chemical reaction that increases the number of gas molecules also increases entropy. A chemical reaction that increases the number of gas molecules would be a reaction that pours energy into a system.

Joyce Lee 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Entropy factors  [ENDORSED]

Postby Joyce Lee 1C » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Changes in temperature will lead to changes in entropy. The higher the temperature, the more thermal energy there is. If there's more thermal energy, there are more ways to distribute that energy, leading to a higher entropy. Thus, increasing temperature increases entropy.
Similarly, increasing the volumes of gases will increase entropy because increasing volume also increases the ways you can distribute molecules and thus energy.
Lastly, phase changes can also lead to changes in entropy. Some phases have more microstates and ergo higher entropy. Liquids have more microstates than solids because the molecules can translate, or move around more freely. Gases have the most microstates and have the highest entropy of the phases mentioned.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”