Choosing Cp or Cv  [ENDORSED]

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abigail Urbina 1K

Choosing Cp or Cv

Postby Abigail Urbina 1K » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

When it is not explicitly stated in the question whether pressure or volume are constant, when do we know which to use?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 435 times

Re: Choosing Cp or Cv  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 pm

If it is reasonable to assume the process or reaction is occurring under ambient conditions, using constant pressure heat capacities is appropriate. For instance, a phase change occurring in a lab context without further descriptions of the apparatus can be assumed to take place in constant pressure conditions and you would use Cp.

Constant volume conditions are usually specialized and the wording of the problem will imply it. Read all problems carefully and consider the context before you begin.

Mitch Mologne 1A

Re: Choosing Cp or Cv

Postby Mitch Mologne 1A » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

I think usually it can be implied because one of two is usually changing, thus you would use the other.

Anna Goldberg 2I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Choosing Cp or Cv

Postby Anna Goldberg 2I » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Also-in problems that have both volume and temperature changing, for example-use Cv in your delta S=nCln(T2/T1) temperature change calculation, as volume is constant while temperature is changing (even though volume changes in another part of the reaction).
Conversely, in problems that have both delta P and delta T, use Cp in your delta S=nCln(T2/T1) temperature change calculation, as pressure is constant while temperature is changing (even though pressure changes in another part of the reaction).

Context clues in the problem can help as well. For example, "sealed box" means use Cv, as volume will be constant.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”