why is the entropy change at constant pressure greater than the entropy change at constant volume?

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Harjas Sabharwal 1G

why is the entropy change at constant pressure greater than the entropy change at constant volume?

Postby Harjas Sabharwal 1G » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 pm

Why is the entropy change at constant pressure greater than the entropy change at constant volume? I understand mathematically by looking at the formula, but I was curious why conceptually?

Chris Pleman 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: why is the entropy change at constant pressure greater than the entropy change at constant volume?

Postby Chris Pleman 3E » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:15 pm

Beyond the fact that C(p,m) > C(v,m), it could be that when pressure remains constant that there's no relief in the force acting on the molecules, as when volume changes pressure will change inversely. That's my best bad guess. Maybe it could have to do with the fact that (delta)S=(delta)H/T at constant pressure, whereas (delta)S=(delta)U/T at constant volume.

Juanalv326

Re: why is the entropy change at constant pressure greater than the entropy change at constant volume?

Postby Juanalv326 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:53 pm

You also have to take into account that there are different Cp for the different states matter

Angel Chen 2k

Postby Angel Chen 2k » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:19 am

In the isochoric change process, the gas does not do any work; on the other hand, in the isobaric change process, the gas does work to expand the gas. In addition, according to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, entropy in the isolated system always stays the same or increases. Therefore, since gas does work in isobaric change processes, the entropy at constant pressure will be greater than that at constant volume.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”