System and surroundings

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jasmin Argueta 1K

System and surroundings

Postby Jasmin Argueta 1K » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Can anyone explain why the change in the system= the negative change of the surrounding in regards to reversible reactions. I can't seem to understand this conceptually.

Vincent Li 4L

Re: System and surroundings

Postby Vincent Li 4L » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:10 pm

If this is specifically regarding entropy, that is because in reversible reactions, the total change in entropy (in the universe) is equal to zero. As a result, any change in entropy in the surroundings must be equal and opposite to the change in entropy of the system because they add up together to equal the total change in entropy.

Another case you might be thinking of is when q = -w. The reason why this works is because reversible gas expansions are typically isothermal. Isothermal means the temperature is unchanging, and if the temperature is unchanging, so is the total energy of the system. Since deltaU = q + w, if deltaU = 0, 0 = q + w, or q = -w. Hope this helps.

Karina Jiayu Xu 4E

Postby Karina Jiayu Xu 4E » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Recall that the change in entropy of the universe is equal to the sum of the change in entropy of the surrounding and the system. And in a reversible reaction, the total change in entropy in the universe is 0, and thus the change in entropy of the surrounding and the system have to equal.

Nicole Elhosni 2I

Postby Nicole Elhosni 2I » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:52 pm

It is similar to work and how work affects the system and surroundings. If work is put into the system, it is because the surroundings have released it. And if the surroundings are worked on, it is because the system has released it. So work of the surroundings = work of the system. I think it is the same idea for entropy.

KimGiang2F

Postby KimGiang2F » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 am

The change in the system= the negative change of the surrounding in regards to reversible reactions is conceptually based on the fact that the amount lost and gained in both systems must be equal to 0. Essentially, if a system loses 10 units, the surrounding must gain 10 units so that the amount of work transferred in between systems equals to the total change in entropy in the universe, which is 0.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”