Midterm 6D

Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ellen Amico 2L

Midterm 6D

Postby Ellen Amico 2L » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:07 pm

I'm confused on why question 6D isn't answer choice C because going from solid to liquid would lead to an increase in entropy, and this seems to be largest relative to the other answer choices. Could someone explain this?

Deepika Reddy 1A

Re: Midterm 6D

Postby Deepika Reddy 1A » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Two of the answer choices can be crossed out immediately. I crossed out B because C(diamond) is more ordered than C(graphite) so entropy was decreasing because there are fewer states or positions that the particles can assume. In D, the gas and liquid are going to two aqueous so it can be crossed out. And then, in class, he said that the transition from liquid to gas increases the entropy a lot more than the transition from solid to liquid so that is why A is the answer.

Zoe Gleason 4F

Postby Zoe Gleason 4F » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:37 pm

Both A and C involve changing the phase change to one with more entropy. However, the answer is A because that change is associated with a larger increase in entropy then the phase change from solid to liquid.

Megan Cao 1I

Postby Megan Cao 1I » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:08 pm

C changes from solid to liquid and A changes from liquid to gas. A gas has the highest entropy of all three phases. therefore, the change of a substance to it's gas phase would have the most change in entropy

Anish Natarajan 4G

Postby Anish Natarajan 4G » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:14 pm

If I recall correctly there are two phase change options, one being the transition from solid to liquid and the other one being from liquid to gas. The entropy change associated with the latter option is larger

Veronica_Lubera_2A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Veronica_Lubera_2A » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:40 pm

Gases have the highest entropy possible because they take up a lot of space (volume) and can be arranged in multiple positions because of their high speed and free movement. Therefore, option A only had the option of a gas in the products.

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”