Volume:
Temperature:

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

IsabelMurillo3K

Entropy Factors

Postby IsabelMurillo3K » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:34 pm

Hey guys!
One of the objectives on outline 5 states:
-Explain how temperature, volume, and state of matter affect the entropy of a substance.
I know how temperature and volume influence entropy, however, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with how state of matter influences entropy?
Thank you!

Najia Saleem 2G

Re: Entropy Factors

Postby Najia Saleem 2G » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:50 am

I like to think of entropy as a measure of disorder. Therefore, for states of matter, I ask you to visualize the state of their molecules in the diagram I have attached below. I hope you are able to deduce that gases have more entropy than liquids which have more entropy than solids based on the rigidity of the structure and nature of molecular movement.

GettyImages-947148218-1742a84786ae46b0b229da848348fb0f.jpeg

Faith St Amant 3D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Faith St Amant 3D » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 am

In terms of temperature, entropy increases as temp increases because the molecules have more kinetic energy and therefore more disorder (but this is not the case when talking about deltaS so be careful there). For volume, as volume increases so does entropy, because the molecules have more space to move about and have more disorder. And for states of matter, the same thought process applies--gases have the most motion/disorder and therefore the most entropy, and solids have the least disorder/least entropy. Hope this helps!

Kiara Phillips 3L

Postby Kiara Phillips 3L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:30 am

Because entropy is essentially the disorder of a system anything that causes the molecules to interact more with each other increases the entropy, so heating things up increases entropy, decreasing volume available for a gas will increase entropy, and solids and liquids have lower entropy levels than gases do typically. Hope this helps!

Return to “Entropy Changes Due to Changes in Volume and Temperature”