Calculating standard entropy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

AGaeta_2C

Calculating standard entropy

Postby AGaeta_2C » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:51 pm

When would you use the equation dS= C * ln (T2/T1) and when would you include the number of moles into that equation? I notice we've used both dS= C * ln (T2/T1) and dS= n* C * ln (T2/T1) to solve problems but I'm not sure when to apply which equation.

Megan Cao 1I

Re: Calculating standard entropy

Postby Megan Cao 1I » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:55 pm

you would use dS= n* C * ln (T2/T1) when there is more or less than 1 mole of the substance. you would use dS= C * ln (T2/T1) if they dont specify of it it's 1 mole. you use this equations for thermal disorder, where the temperature is changing. be sure to note that C can be Cv or Cp depending on if there's constant volume or pressure

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:00 am

When there is a temperature change, make sure to use this equation in kelvin. Also, moles are always taken into account I believe, but not written down when there is only 1 mol of substance. If moles are not given, I would use the PV=nRT equation to find the amount of moles.

RichBollini4G

Postby RichBollini4G » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:16 pm

Megan Cao 1I wrote:you would use dS= n* C * ln (T2/T1) when there is more or less than 1 mole of the substance. you would use dS= C * ln (T2/T1) if they dont specify of it it's 1 mole. you use this equations for thermal disorder, where the temperature is changing. be sure to note that C can be Cv or Cp depending on if there's constant volume or pressure

Thank you!

Return to “Calculating Standard Reaction Entropies (e.g. , Using Standard Molar Entropies)”