Week 5 and 6 Assignment Question 9 - Deciding Which Equation to Use for Systems or Surroundings  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sam Leistiko 2B

Week 5 and 6 Assignment Question 9 - Deciding Which Equation to Use for Systems or Surroundings

Postby Sam Leistiko 2B » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:06 am

Here is the homework problem.

Consider the following reaction at 298 K.

4Al(s)+3O2(g)⟶2Al2O3(s)ΔH∘=−3351.4 kJ

Calculate the following quantities. Refer to the standard entropy values as needed.

I correctly calculated the answer using standard molar entropies to find ΔSsys, and I correctly calculated ΔSsurr using ΔSsurr = −ΔHsys / T.

However, I do not understand why I need to use different equations for ΔSsys and ΔSsurr. Why is ΔSsys not calculated using ΔHsys / T? Additionally, when is it proper to use ΔHsys/T, and what is the underlying concept?

Thanks!

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Week 5 and 6 Assignment Question 9 - Deciding Which Equation to Use for Systems or Surroundings  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:30 pm

Using standard molar entropies to find ΔSsys is the total entropy change for the system as it includes changes in 'structures' due to the chemical reaction inside the system: R ---> P

The surroundings only gain or lose heat (due to the reaction in the system), and therefore use: ΔSsurr = −ΔHsys / T

Great question. I usually comment on this in class.

Return to “Calculating Standard Reaction Entropies (e.g. , Using Standard Molar Entropies)”