Dependence of free energy on pressure

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JennyCKim1J

Dependence of free energy on pressure

Postby JennyCKim1J » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:52 pm

I don't really understand the equation for G. Is it G = free energy of the gas at 1 atm + free energy difference due to different pressure? Also, is the G just simple G or deltaG?

Victoria Draper 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Dependence of free energy on pressure

Postby Victoria Draper 1G » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:24 pm

When the equation states "G = free energy of the gas at 1 atm + free energy difference due to different pressure" it is just verbalizing the equation of G=G°+RTln(P). If the RTln(P) part of the equation involves a pressure less than 1, then the whole value will be negative and will be subtracted from the value of free energy at the standard state. When the pressure is greater than 1 atm, the value of RTln(P) will be positive and will be added to the standard state. The whole equation shows how free energy depends on pressure and therefore should be noted as G rather than deltaG.

Sally Nason - 1K

Re: Dependence of free energy on pressure

Postby Sally Nason - 1K » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:52 pm

I was also confused by this in class but in the equation G = G^o + RTln(P/P^o), I believe that the P is the atmospheric pressure and the P^o is always 1.00 atm because it's standard. Therefore, when P is more than 1.00 atm, (P/P^o) is positive and when P is less than 1.00 atm, (P/P^o) is negative.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”