Gibbs Free Energy vs Internal Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shirley Liu 2I

Gibbs Free Energy vs Internal Energy

Postby Shirley Liu 2I » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:04 pm

what is the difference between the two energies and do they have the same units? Internal energy is energy in a system that can do work but doesn’t gibbs free energy do work too? what is exactly meant by “free energy”?

Henry Krasner 1C

Re: Gibbs Free Energy vs Internal Energy

Postby Henry Krasner 1C » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Gibbs free energy is calculated by the enthalpy minus the entropy times absolute temperature of a system. Whereas the change in internal energy is work plus heat.

Andie Jian 1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Andie Jian 1D » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:33 pm

I'm not entirely positive about this, but I think internal energy is more of a measure of the total energy of a system (which is why it can be changed by both work and heat). However, Gibbs free energy is a measure of only the energy that is available to be used. So, for example, during a reaction, some energy might be given off as heat because reactions can't be 100% efficient. Therefore, the product of that reaction will have less energy available inside of it to do work in the next reaction.

Nathaniel 2E

Postby Nathaniel 2E » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:35 pm

Gibbs Free Energy is the maximum amount of non-expansion work that can be extracted from a thermodynamically closed system, a maximum that can be attained only in a completely reversible process. "Free energy" refers to energy available to do non-expansion work.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”