spontaneity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ruiting Jia 4D

spontaneity

Postby Ruiting Jia 4D » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:50 pm

I'm still unsure on how to visualize spontaneity if it doesn't mean that it happens immediately. Is there a good visual on how to describe spontaneity?

Raquel Ruiz 1K

Re: spontaneity

Postby Raquel Ruiz 1K » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Spontaneity just means that a chemical process can happen without a major outside force acting on the chemical reaction. There are two outside forces, I believe they are enthalpy and entropy.

MichaelMoreno2G

Postby MichaelMoreno2G » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:41 pm

Raquel Ruiz 1K wrote:Spontaneity just means that a chemical process can happen without a major outside force acting on the chemical reaction. There are two outside forces, I believe they are enthalpy and entropy.

If there are no major outside forces, as you say, then the only forces acting/producing the spontaneous reaction are enthalpy and entropy? I'm a little confused. If you can clarify that would be greatly appreciated.

Srikar_Ramshetty 1K

Postby Srikar_Ramshetty 1K » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Yes, the only 2 forces are enthalpy and entropy, these values are true to the chemicals within the reaction, already. That is why the values of H(rxn) and S(rxn) are products minus reactants. External energy would be heat or work done on the system in order for the reaction to favor the production of products. Therefore, we see the equation deltaU = q+w. A spontaneous reaction is a reaction that favors the production of products without changes in externally introduced energy(q and w). Hope that helps a litlle.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”