Value of K in Gibbs free energy equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katherine Grillo 1B

Value of K in Gibbs free energy equation

Postby Katherine Grillo 1B » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:55 pm

In the equation delta G = -RT*ln(K), K is the equilibrium constant right? But it's stated that a reaction is at equilibrium when delta G equals zero or when K equals 1. There are many reactions that have an equilibrium constant that is not equal to one but is in equilibrium. So I'm confused with this discrepancy.

Vincent Li 4L

Re: Value of K in Gibbs free energy equation

Postby Vincent Li 4L » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:09 pm

When a chemical reaction is at equilibrium, the Gibbs free energy is, indeed, equal to zero, but that doesn't mean that the Gibbs free energy under standard conditions is (the little circle to the top right is what you're most likely missing). As you can see from the original equation, , when equilibrium is reached, delta G on the left hand side goes to zero, and solving the resulting equation for delta G naught yields -RTlnK. Hope this helps.

Miya Lopez 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Miya Lopez 1I » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:08 pm

Vincent Li 4L wrote:When a chemical reaction is at equilibrium, the Gibbs free energy is, indeed, equal to zero, but that doesn't mean that the Gibbs free energy under standard conditions is (the little circle to the top right is what you're most likely missing)...

Can you explain more about what the standard conditions are for Gibbs free energy?

Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I

Postby Jayasuriya Senthilvelan 4I » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:16 pm

Standard conditions for Gibbs free energy are some fixed temperature (usually 25 degrees celsius), pure liquid/solid, gases are 1 atm/bar, aqueous are 1 M. Also all compounds are at their standard states (so oxygen wouldn't be O in these conditions, it would be O2).

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”