delta G naught when K<1

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Harshita Talkad 4L

delta G naught when K<1

Postby Harshita Talkad 4L » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Why is delta G naught positive when K<1? Wouldn't the forward reaction be favored and therefore spontaneous, making it negative?

tierra parker 1J

Re: delta G naught when K<1

Postby tierra parker 1J » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:55 pm

i think it has to do with the fact that if K < 1 then there are more reactants than products at equilibrium so the reaction sits to the left making the reverse reaction favorable

Jeannine 1I

Postby Jeannine 1I » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Since K is the concentration of products over the concentration of reactants () at equilibrium, when K<1, this means there is a higher concentration of reactants compared to products. This means that the *reverse* reaction is favored, which in turn means the forward reaction is NOT favored. Thus, when K<1, the forward reaction is NOT spontaneous, resulting in a positive delta G nought.

Hope that helps(:

Brandon Mo 4K

Postby Brandon Mo 4K » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 am

When K<1, there is a higher concentration of reactants than products. This indicates that products are not being favored in equilibrium. This would lead to how delta G would be positive, or nonspontaneous.

You can also look at the equation delta G = -RTln(K). Having a K<1 would result in a negative value in the natural log, resulting in a positive delta G.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”