5G.17

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Junwei Sun 4I

5G.17

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:32 pm

The question asks to draw a graph that depicts the reaction in question 5G.13 which is I2(g) --> 2I(g) at 1200.K (K=6.8) when the partial pressure of I2 and I are 0.13 bar and 0.98 bar respectively. The answer key gives this graph but I still don't quite get what it means. Could someone please explain?
Attachments
11582093948_.pic_hd.jpg

Ryan Narisma 4G

Re: 5G.17

Postby Ryan Narisma 4G » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Hi Junwei Sun 4I! To answer your question, because the reaction quotient value is greater than the value of K at this temperature, the reaction will proceed to form more reactants (I2 gas). The graph is depicting this instance. As time progresses, the reaction will start to form more I2, hence the increase in the partial pressure of I2. However, in doing so, the reaction must use up I (g) and this is depicted with the partial pressure of I (g) decreasing. Then when the reaction reaches equilibrium the partial pressures of each species remain unchanged, hence the leveling off of the partial pressures of each species after reaching a certain time. I hope this helps!

Junwei Sun 4I

Re: 5G.17

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Ryan Narisma 4G wrote:Hi Junwei Sun 4I! To answer your question, because the reaction quotient value is greater than the value of K at this temperature, the reaction will proceed to form more reactants (I2 gas). The graph is depicting this instance. As time progresses, the reaction will start to form more I2, hence the increase in the partial pressure of I2. However, in doing so, the reaction must use up I (g) and this is depicted with the partial pressure of I (g) decreasing. Then when the reaction reaches equilibrium the partial pressures of each species remain unchanged, hence the leveling off of the partial pressures of each species after reaching a certain time. I hope this helps!

Thank you!

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”