Midterm Question 6B

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Abigail Sanders 1E

Midterm Question 6B

Postby Abigail Sanders 1E » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Can anyone fully explain why question 6B on the midterm has answer A? I guessed that it is A because it is this reaction has the smallest change in entropy but I am not sure if that is correct.

Hiba Alnajjar_2C

Re: Midterm Question 6B

Postby Hiba Alnajjar_2C » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:03 pm

Your logic is correct. Using the equation delta G = delta H - (T)(delta S), it is apparent that the value of delta G will be close to that of delta H when you have a value of delta S close to or equal to 0. Therefore, the answer with the smallest change in entropy, as you mentioned, would be the correct answer to this question.

Joseph Saba

Postby Joseph Saba » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Hiba Alnajjar_2C wrote:Your logic is correct. Using the equation delta G = delta H - (T)(delta S), it is apparent that the value of delta G will be close to that of delta H when you have a value of delta S close to or equal to 0. Therefore, the answer with the smallest change in entropy, as you mentioned, would be the correct answer to this question.

Why is answer b incorrect? (the reaction of sodium with water to make sodium hydroxide and H2 gas) I thought it would be spontaneous and exothermic (thus both g and h being negative)

Hiba Alnajjar_2C

Postby Hiba Alnajjar_2C » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:19 pm

Joseph Saba wrote:
Hiba Alnajjar_2C wrote:Your logic is correct. Using the equation delta G = delta H - (T)(delta S), it is apparent that the value of delta G will be close to that of delta H when you have a value of delta S close to or equal to 0. Therefore, the answer with the smallest change in entropy, as you mentioned, would be the correct answer to this question.

Why is answer b incorrect? (the reaction of sodium with water to make sodium hydroxide and H2 gas) I thought it would be spontaneous and exothermic (thus both g and h being negative)

In answer b, you're going from a solid reactant and a liquid reactant to an aqueous product and a gas product. In answer a, you're going from solid reactants to solid products. Because the phase of the reactants is equivalent to that of the products in a, there is a very small change in entropy. This change would be smaller than that in b since the phases of the reactants and products in b are different; the overall entropy would increase in b whereas it wouldn't change very much in a. delta G and delta H being negative would not be enough for it to be considered as similar as they would be in answer a since the value of the term "-(T)(delta S)" would cause the values of delta G and delta H to be different in b since delta S is not zero.

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”