Gibbs Free Energy and K

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fatemah Yacoub 1F

Gibbs Free Energy and K

Postby Fatemah Yacoub 1F » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:56 pm

Can someone explain the free energy depends on pressure and the equilibrium constant

Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E

Re: Gibbs Free Energy and K

Postby Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm

You can relate Gibbs free energy to K using the following equation:

∆Gº = -RTlnK

As you can see, this is not dependent on pressure or temperature. However, the max work that can be done is given by ∆G at constant pressure and temperature.

Hope this helped!

Kassidy Ford 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kassidy Ford 1I » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E wrote:You can relate Gibbs free energy to K using the following equation:

∆Gº = -RTlnK

As you can see, this is not dependent on pressure or temperature. However, the max work that can be done is given by ∆G at constant pressure and temperature.

Hope this helped!

You said that this isnt dependent on temperature, but doesnt the T in the equation stand for temperature? also wouldn't K change if the temperature changed?

MAC 4G

Postby MAC 4G » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:32 pm

Kassidy Ford 1I wrote:
Isha_Maniyar_Dis2E wrote:You can relate Gibbs free energy to K using the following equation:

∆Gº = -RTlnK

Hope this helped!

You said that this isnt dependent on temperature, but doesnt the T in the equation stand for temperature? also wouldn't K change if the temperature changed?

Yes, the T does stand for temperature, but I don't think the value of K wouldn't change if the temperature changed being K=[P]/[R]. The equation is referring to the system being at a constant temperature, and I'm not sure exactly how to explain it, but I'll try. Gibbs energy is the chemical potential that is minimized when a system reaches equilibrium at constant pressure and temperature. As such, it is a convenient criterion of spontaneity. And Gibbs free energy and spontaneity depends on the value of K. For instance, if you have a small K value and a positive delta G, you'll have a non-spontaneous system.

Megan Kirschner

Postby Megan Kirschner » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Gibbs energy is like a chemical potential that is reduced to its minimum when a system reaches eq. at constant pressure and temperature. Gibbs and K are related because they can tell us what is likely happen in a reaction.

AKatukota

Postby AKatukota » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:09 pm

So for example question 5G.13 in the textbook, how would you find Gibbs free energy when given K, temperature, and there pressures of the products and reactants?

Return to “Gibbs Free Energy Concepts and Calculations”