Van't Hoff Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nadia Nichol

Van't Hoff Equation

Postby Nadia Nichol » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:09 pm

After the exam, I am a bit confused on the purpose and appropriate use of this equation, can someone further explain the Van't Hoff equation, and its relevance to thermodynamics.

Sheik Sahadat

Re: Van't Hoff Equation

Postby Sheik Sahadat » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:11 pm

Hey there,
I remember working with this equation. Basically, the Vant Hoff equation allows us to relate standard enthalpy and two equilibrium constants, K1 and k2. It uses the temperature dependence of the equilibrium constant to calculate the value of the enthalpy change for the reaction. Depending on the variables given, we are able to manipulate the equation and solve for things like one of the equilibrium constants, canceling ln with e when needed on both sides. It can be used to calculate K at a different temperature if ∆H is known and we assume ∆S is constant. I hope this helps!

Re: Van't Hoff Equation

Postby 405996618 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:40 am

The Van't Hoff equation helps understand how achange in temperature affects a reaction's equilibrium constant, and how reactions respond to temperature variations. It's relevant to thermodynamics by the relationship between temperature and the spontaneity of chemical reactions, understanding reactions in different conditions.

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”