Change in Entropy Remains Constant

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ava Harvey 2B

Change in Entropy Remains Constant

Postby Ava Harvey 2B » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:30 am

In lecture, Lavelle explained why the change in entropy in the Van’t Hoff equation remained constant, however I was a bit confused as to why this was the case. If someone could explain this reasoning to me, that would be great! Thanks so much!

Fatima_Iqbal_2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Change in Entropy Remains Constant

Postby Fatima_Iqbal_2E » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:36 am

I was also confused about the same thing. Would we always assume that the change in entropy remains constant when using this equation?

TarynLane2J

Postby TarynLane2J » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:15 pm

I think it has to do with the fact that at two different temperatures, the actual values for entropy are different, but as long as the substances are the same the change in entropy, delta S, is the same amount. Its like if you had the values 2 and 4, and then at a different temperature the values were 6 and 8. Obviously different values, however the difference between the two is same, and since were are only interested in delta S, all that matters is the difference.

Michelle Nguyen 2L

Postby Michelle Nguyen 2L » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:14 pm

Yup Taryn has the correct reasoning; at higher temperatures the S of products and reactants are different but since both are raised to the same temperature, we assume that the difference in entropy between the two remains relatively the same. Of course delta S does change in reality, but for our purposes we take the change to be minimal enough to ignore.

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”