given values

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Blake-2I

given values

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:29 am

Would we be given delta S naught and delta G naught or would we need to solve for these values in a problem and how is that calculation different than just calculating delta G or delta S? Thank you!

Frank He 4G

Re: given values

Postby Frank He 4G » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:01 pm

I don't know if we will encounter problems where we have to calculate the delta G naught or delta H naught in order to then use the Van't Hoff equation, but usually what we do with this equation is calculate K for a reaction at a different temperature when we know the delta H naught of a reaction, using the second form of the equation that we derived in class: lnK2/K1 = -delta H naught/R * (1/T2 - 1/T1)

As you can see, if we use that equation, we do not have to know or solve for S.

Wilson 2E

Postby Wilson 2E » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:16 pm

If we did have to solve for delta H naught, I assume you could do so either through the standard enthalpies of formation or even the deltaU = q + w formula.

Matt F

Postby Matt F » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:39 pm

I think it could be reasonable to have to solve for delta H naught or even one of the temperatures depending on the wording of the problem. The main use for the equation though is calculating K at different temperature values given a value for delta H naught, so ideally you would just be focusing on K and its dependence on temperature rather than solving for various parts of the equation

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”