How deltaG affects product/reactant formation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Isabelle Hales 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

How deltaG affects product/reactant formation

Postby Isabelle Hales 1J » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:37 pm

In last Friday’s lecture, Lavelle mentioned that when K > 1, deltaG under standard conditions is negative. He said that there are more products that reactants which will cause product formation to be favored. I am a bit confused by this. I thought that if there are more products than reactants, the formation of reactants would be favored. Can someone help me understand this?

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D

Re: How deltaG affects product/reactant formation

Postby AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 pm

He might be saying that when there are more products than reactants the delta G of the reverse reaction is negative and thus that is what is spontaneous

Sami Siddiqui 1J
Been upvoted: 6 times

Postby Sami Siddiqui 1J » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:42 pm

In the long run, to have a negative delta G value means that K (the equilibrium constant) will be greater than 1, meaning that the equilibrium concentrations will favor the products over the reactants as the reaction approaches equilibrium. This is given by the fact that, on a conceptual level, K is essentially [P]/[R] (while factoring in all the stoichiometric coefficients as exponents for each substance). To have a positive delta G value means that K will be less than 1, meaning that vice versa will be true. In the context of chemical equilibrium, if we took a system that was already at equilibrium and then added more product to it, then the reactants would be favored according to Le Chatelier's principle.

Aydin Karatas 1F

Postby Aydin Karatas 1F » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 pm

If we look at the equation for at standard condition, we get . For to be negative, thus meaning the reaction favors the products, we need to produce a positive number. When K > 1, < 0. When 0 < K < 1, > 0. Since R is a positive constant and T is given in Kelvin, we can see that the favorability of a reaction is depended on in this expression.

Victor Qiu 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Victor Qiu 1C » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 am

It is not true that if there are more products than reactants, the formation of reactants would be favored. You can just think of an example of dissociation of a strong acid.
HCl(aq) + H2O(l) → H3O+(aq) + Cl-(aq)
The products are favored even when there are more products than reactants.

Grace_Remphrey_2J

Postby Grace_Remphrey_2J » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:58 pm

I was also confused about this and these explanations were super helpful. Thank you!!

SavannahScriven_1F

Postby SavannahScriven_1F » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:29 pm

When K is > 1, the equilibrium lies to the right (i.e. at equilibrium, there is a higher concentration of products than reactants). Delta G would be negative because the forward reaction is favored (product form is more stable than reactant form, so rxn is spontaneous).

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”