Application of Van't Hoff Equation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Marcus Lagman 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Application of Van't Hoff Equation

Postby Marcus Lagman 2A » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:11 pm

Hello!

What is the Van't Hoff Equation typically used for? I know it connects the equations of change in Gibbs Free Energy and the Gibbs Free Energy at equilibrium, but what questions specifically will let us know that we have to use the Van't Hoff Equation? An example could be appreciated! Thank you!

Charlotte Adams 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Application of Van't Hoff Equation

Postby Charlotte Adams 1A » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:12 pm

Its used to find the equilibrium constant at some temperature if we know the equilibrium constant for the same reaction but at a different temperature.

Abby Lam 3F

Postby Abby Lam 3F » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:17 pm

Usually we can find K at a different temperature, but I think you can also use this equation to solve for the different values in the equation. I think it can also be used to find ∆H if you have K at two different temperatures. But going back to basics, if you have a value for every variable except one, then you can solve for that one variable.

Alvin Lai 3J

Postby Alvin Lai 3J » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:40 pm

The Van't Hoff Equation can be used to find the K2 value at a different temperature, assuming that you know the temperatures of K1 and K2, and the deltaH. Then you could solve for the right side of the equation, put that result as an exponent of e, then multiply it by K1 to get K2. Hope this helps!

Saumya Tawakley 1E

Postby Saumya Tawakley 1E » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:42 pm

We can use the Van't Hoff equation to find the equilibrium constant for the same reaction at two different temperatures if the equilibrium constant at one temperature is known.

Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L

Postby Alexandra Ahlschlager 1L » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:03 pm

I think it's most helpful for finding the equilibrium constant for a reaction at a different temperature, but you can basically use it to solve for whatever term you want that’s in the equation, as long as you know all the other variables. For example, if you already know both equilibrium constants, you can also use the equation to find out at what temperature a certain equilibrium constant applies to.

Valerie Doan 3I

Postby Valerie Doan 3I » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:05 pm

In the chemical equilibrium unit, we learned that equilibrium constants change with temperature (increase or decrease) due to the endothermic and exothermic nature of chemical reactions. The Van't Hoff equation takes this idea into account and is used to find the equilibrium constant of a reaction given its equilibrium constant at a different temperature.

Gian Boco 2G

Postby Gian Boco 2G » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:07 pm

In this equation, you have inputs for delta H, K1, T1, K2, and T2. So depending on what you are missing or given, you are able to calculate the other values.

Namita Shyam 3G

Postby Namita Shyam 3G » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 pm

For the Van't Hoff equation, usually if your given three of the four K1, K2, T1, T2 values, then you can use it to calculate the fourth (assuming H is given). If all four values are given, then you can use the equation to solve for H.

Ryan Agcaoili 2E

Postby Ryan Agcaoili 2E » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:31 am

You can use the van't hoff equation to solve for the equilibrium of a reaction at a different temperature. In addition, you can sole for any other variable in the equation.

Ven Chavez 2K

Postby Ven Chavez 2K » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:44 pm

The Van't Hoff Equation is a derived equation that shows the relationship between equilibrium and Gibbs Free energy. We can see that Gibbs free energy and enthalpy change is temperature-dependent just as the equilibrium constant is. This means you can determine the reaction enthalpy given the equilibrium constants and temperature.

Kristina Krivenko 3I

Postby Kristina Krivenko 3I » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:07 pm

We can use Van't Hoff equation to find the value of the equilibrium constant at a different temperature, given that we know the enthalpy of the reaction and the equilibrium constant at some other temperature. We can also use it to find the enthalpy of the reaction, given that we know values of equilibrium constants for the reaction at two different temperatures.

Return to “Van't Hoff Equation”