Electrolysis

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karla Baltierra Zamora 3C

Electrolysis

Postby Karla Baltierra Zamora 3C » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:19 pm

Hello, I was wondering if there are any specific equations that we would use with electrolysis? I'm just confused as to when it would be relevant in a problem. Thank you :)

Re: Electrolysis

Postby 005517427 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:26 pm

Hi there! I am not 100% sure if there are any specific equations that we would use for electrolysis, but I could be totally wrong. However, I did find this one, Q=I⋅t.

ella3

Re: Electrolysis

Postby ella3 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 pm

Hi I don't think there are any specific equations per se that apply to electrolysis. The oxidation and reduction equations look the same as what we're familiar with, they're just not separated by a porous disc. I would just make sure you're familiar with the fact that...

- Electrolysis uses e- to drive non-spontaneous redox reactions, so it needs a constant external current to drive the rxn in the unfavorable direction and therefore the external voltage must be greater than the internal V
- It's a transfer of electrical energy to chemical energy
- The thing "pulling" the electrons and causing oxidation is the external current supply

and also be familiar with how electrolytic cells work specifically, hope this helps!

Return to “Environment, Fossil Fuels, Alternative Fuels”