Do alternate fuels create less entropy?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sungmin Na [1C]

Do alternate fuels create less entropy?

Postby Sungmin Na [1C] » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:53 pm

I was wondering if the development of alternative fuels such as solar energy or hydroenergy produced more or less entropy. My guess would be that regardless of how the system is enviromentally friendly, it would still create as much entropy as it would be a transfer of joules on one form to another.

Alexander Vong 3I

Re: Do alternate fuels create less entropy?

Postby Alexander Vong 3I » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Are you referring to an increase in entropy of a particular system? An increase compared to current fuels (if so, which fuels)?

An increase in entropy is an increase in the number of particles and/or kinetic energy. Biodiesel fuels have a high enthalpy density, while methane has a low enthalpy density.

Entropy would increase more if you combusted one mol of biodiesel than if you combusted one mol of methane.

Anvy 1G

Postby Anvy 1G » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 pm

If im being right here entropy is randomness in the universe and if we assume the universe is one giant massive system than yeah alternative fuels might not increase entropy because its the conversion of energy into something else. This energy is converted one way or another so id supposes that it does get random more.

Narin Maisha 2H

Postby Narin Maisha 2H » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:27 am

I believe that alternative fuels will simply have an entropy that in correspondence to the energy that is being converted, and the amount that is has is dependent on the enthalpy density.

Return to “Environment, Fossil Fuels, Alternative Fuels”