OH- H+ and H2O in balancing redox reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Courtney_Koenig_3K

OH- H+ and H2O in balancing redox reactions

Postby Courtney_Koenig_3K » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:01 pm

When balancing redox reactions, H2O and OH- are always used to balance the O and H in the RXN. Why isn't H+ used to balance the RXN?

K Phelan 3D

Re: OH- H+ and H2O in balancing redox reactions

Postby K Phelan 3D » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm

OH- is used to balance H and O when the reaction is basic. H+ is used to balance H when the reaction is acidic.

Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 pm

When do you add water into the equation? What are the hints that adding water is a needed step?

samuelkharpatin2b

Postby samuelkharpatin2b » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:05 pm

You add water when you are in need of more oxygen. The way I balance redox reactions is add H2O when I need additional oxygen, and H+ when I need to add hydrogen, when balancing in acidic solution. When balancing in basic solution, I start off as if I'm balancing in acidic solution, and once I finish as though it's acidic, I add some OH-'s to both sides of the reaction. The number of OH-'s corresponds with the number of H+'s. So the OH-'s and H+'s cancel each other out to make water, then you add the half reactions, and finally you remove like terms from the left and right side of the final reaction. After you're done, make sure you check once again that there are the same number of atoms on both sides and that the charges agree.

Nina Do 4L

Postby Nina Do 4L » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 pm

You would use H+ to balance the amount of hydrogens and water to balance the amount of water.

Anna O 2C

Postby Anna O 2C » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 pm

The amount of OH- or H+ is based off of whether it is a basic or an acidic reaction.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”