Balanced Half Reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ashley Kenney 1E

Balanced Half Reactions

Postby Ashley Kenney 1E » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm

Do the balanced half reactions include the stoichiometric coefficients to make the number of electrons in the oxidation and reduction halves equal, or is a balanced half reaction only referring to the individual half reaction without consideration for the other half? Do we only multiply by coefficients to create balanced overall reactions? Thank you in advance!

Aidan Ryan 1B

Re: Balanced Half Reactions

Postby Aidan Ryan 1B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 pm

Today in lecture I think he said balanced half reaction includes the balancing with e- being equal.

timothy_ho_4B

Postby timothy_ho_4B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure balanced half reactions would be only considering the atoms and charge of that half reaction, so it would include balancing oxygens and hydrogens by using water and H+ or OH-. But I think balancing the charge between a reduction and oxidation reactions is for the overall reaction, and not for a half reaction.

Catly Do 2E

Postby Catly Do 2E » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:05 pm

First, focus on balancing the reactants and products of each half reaction. Next, to get the overall reaction, add the two half-reactions together. At this step, you would multiply a factor to a half reaction if needed so that electrons/spectators are canceled as needed for the overall rxn.

SydBenedict2H

Postby SydBenedict2H » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

I think you want to balance the atoms, charge, and number of electrons all because its still a half reaction until you put it all together for the final reaction.

Salena Chowdri 1I

Postby Salena Chowdri 1I » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:20 am

you will need to balance the number of ions and electrons for each half reaction and then to combine them and get an overall reaction you will need to balance both half equations to have the same number of electrons.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”