Redox in Acidic/Basic Solutions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christine Honda 2I

Redox in Acidic/Basic Solutions

Postby Christine Honda 2I » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 pm

What does it mean when a redox reaction takes place in an acidic or basic solution? How do you balance a redox reaction when it takes place in an acidic or basic solution?

Rory Simpson 2F

Re: Redox in Acidic/Basic Solutions

Postby Rory Simpson 2F » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:48 pm

In acidic solutions, you have an excess of H+ which can be used along with H2O to balance H and O in the half reactions. In basic solutions, you have excess OH- which you would use to balance the half reactions. This is necessary to make sure that the charges and elements are balanced in the redox reactions.

preyasikumar_2L

Postby preyasikumar_2L » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:52 pm

When a redox reaction takes place in an acidic or basic solution, there would be an excess of H+ or OH- ions respectively. You need to use H+ to balance the half reactions in acidic solutions, and OH- to balance the half reactions in basic solutions. Also be sure to balance charges on both sides of the equations also by adding electrons to the appropriate sides of the half reactions.

Hui Qiao Wu 1I

Postby Hui Qiao Wu 1I » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:37 pm

The only difference when balancing a redox reaction in a basic solution compared to an acidic solution is that in basic solution, you would have to do the extra step of canceling the H+ with the OH- at the end (everything else is the same).

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”