balancing redox reactions

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarah Blake-2I

balancing redox reactions

Postby Sarah Blake-2I » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 pm

I have been doing a bunch of practice problems in the book for balancing redox reactions and no matter what I do I do not get the right answer when balancing he redox equations. Could someone help explain when we add H2O to a redox equation, OH to a redox reaction, H+, and more electrons. I thought all we had to do was balance oxygens with H2O and hydrogens with H+, but in the book the solutions are adding OH and H20 to both sides, so I am a bit confused on how to properly balance these redox reactions.

Cooper Baddley 1F

Re: balancing redox reactions

Postby Cooper Baddley 1F » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:34 pm

First, you start with just the oxidation of the reduction reaction with nothing else. You balance the things that are not oxygens or hydrogens first with a coefficient. Then you balance the oxygens by adding water to whatever side that needs it (Only worry about the oxygens at this point). Then you balance the hydrogens by adding more waters to the side that needs it and then you add the same amount of OHs or H+s that you did for the second batch of waters to makes sure the whole reaction is balanced. Finally you balance the charges on each side by adding electrons.

Karina Kong 2H

Postby Karina Kong 2H » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:44 pm

You balance the equation with H+ in an acidic reaction and H2O to balance the O2 in that same reaction. If the reaction is basic, you balance it with H20 and OH

kausalya_1k

Postby kausalya_1k » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:53 pm

If it's in an acidic solution, you would first balance everything except H and O. Then, balance O using H2O. Then, balance H with H+
If it's in a basic solution, you would first balance everything except H and O. Then, balance O using H2O. Then, balance H with OH- and add anymore H2O's that need to be added to balance the O's.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”