Cell Diagrams

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

vpena_1I

Cell Diagrams

Postby vpena_1I » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:26 pm

For species separated by a comma, is there a particular order to the reactants/products? I remember Dr. Lavelle telling us in lecture that they should be in the form of Reactants(aq), Products(aq), but I've seen them written in the solutions manual as Products(aq), Reactants(aq). Does it depend on whether it is an anode/cathode?

connie 2C

Re: Cell Diagrams

Postby connie 2C » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:01 am

for cell diagrams, you're supposed to write them in the order that the reaction occurs (kinda like chronological order if that makes sense)

Sanjana K - 2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sanjana K - 2F » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:29 am

The double vertical lines represent separation of the cells, with your anode on the left and cathode on the right. On the anode side, let's say you have both Fe (s) and Fe2+ (aq) present because you're trying to show that Fe (s) --> Fe2+ (aq) + 2 e- and on the cathode side you have Cu(s) and Cu2+ (aq) to show that Cu2+ (aq) + 2e- --> Cu(s). Your overall reaction would be Fe (s) + Cu2+ (aq) --> Fe 2+ (aq) + Cu (s). So in this case, you'd have Fe (s), Fe2+ (aq) followed by your two vertical lines and then Cu2+ (aq), Cu (s). It'll basically stay in the same reactant --> product order that was mentioned above.

EthanPham_1G

Postby EthanPham_1G » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:45 am

The left side of the cell diagram should be the anode reaction (oxidation). The right side of the cell diagram should be the cathode reaction (reduction). They are separated by the salt bridge or double line. Don't put reactants on the left and products on the right. The cell diagram is depicting the oxidation and reduction reactions, not the reactants and products.

vpena_1I

Postby vpena_1I » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:09 am

I know that the anode is on the left and cathode is on the right. My question is, that for species that are in the same phase, occurring in either cathode or anode, and separated by a comma, is there a particular order to them in the cell diagram?
Eg
Pb4+ +Sn2+ ---> Pb2+ +Sn4+
C(gr)| Sn4+(aq), Sn2+(aq) ||Pb4+(aq), Pb2+ (aq)| Pt(s)

for the species in bold, is there a difference between writing them in that order and writing them in this order?

C(gr)| Sn2+(aq), Sn4+(aq) ||Pb2+(aq), Pb4+ (aq)| Pt(s)

Esha Chawla 2E

Postby Esha Chawla 2E » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:10 am

vpena_1I wrote:I know that the anode is on the left and cathode is on the right. My question is, that for species that are in the same phase, occurring in either cathode or anode, and separated by a comma, is there a particular order to them in the cell diagram?
Eg
Pb4+ +Sn2+ ---> Pb2+ +Sn4+
C(gr)| Sn4+(aq), Sn2+(aq) ||Pb4+(aq), Pb2+ (aq)| Pt(s)

for the species in bold, is there a difference between writing them in that order and writing them in this order?

C(gr)| Sn2+(aq), Sn4+(aq) ||Pb2+(aq), Pb4+ (aq)| Pt(s)

As you mentioned above, the textbook definitely has written them in both ways (Reactants, Products and Products, Reactants). I believe that Dr. Lavelle mentioned in lecture that we should write it in the "Reactants, Products" format.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”