Determing balanced rxns for a basic solution

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

ramiro_romero

Determing balanced rxns for a basic solution

Postby ramiro_romero » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 pm

I have a lot of trouble balancing the reactions in a basic solution all throughout. I remember my TA showing us a method of adding hydrogen protons the same way as if it were an acidic solution, but in the end, swapping out the protons for hydroxide ions and balancing the reaction from there. Does this method work? If not, can someone explain with detail how to do it from the beginning with hydroxide ions instead of hydrogen protons?

MingdaH 3B

Re: Determing balanced rxns for a basic solution

Postby MingdaH 3B » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm

The method your TA showed you does work, although it may be slightly slower than the normal method.

peteryim

Postby peteryim » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:00 pm

I think the method you're describing works. Basically, if you need to balance hydrogens on one side of the reaction, you add water to the side that needs hydrogens and an equal amount of hydroxide to the other side of the reaction. The hydroxide will cancel out everything in the water molecule except one hydrogen, so that will balance the hydrogen deficiency.

Jessica Li 4F

Postby Jessica Li 4F » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:39 pm

That method works! What helps me is knowing that OH- gives you one H and one O atom per molecule, while H2O gives you 2 H and one O atom per molecule. Therefore, the side with already existing O molecules will likely have H2O added to it (most of the times, it is the amount of O atoms already there) and the other side will have whatever amount of OH- needed to balance it out.

205154661_Dis2J

Postby 205154661_Dis2J » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:07 pm

There is a step-by-step PDF on Lavelle's website that is super clear and concise when balancing rxns for basic solutions. I have attached it below:

https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... itions.pdf

Jessa Maheras 4F

Postby Jessa Maheras 4F » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

To determine the balanced reaction for a basic solution just start with adding as many H2O are needed to balance H, then Twice as many OH on the same side and twice as many H2O on the opposite side.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”