Balancing Redox

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joanna Huang

Balancing Redox

Postby Joanna Huang » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:52 pm

When balancing redox, how does one find out how many electrons to put on each side of the equation?

Hannah Alltucker 3L

Re: Balancing Redox

Postby Hannah Alltucker 3L » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:56 pm

You can check by how much the charge of each half changes when it is either oxidized or reduced based on what you are given. They normally give us some sense of how many e- are transferred by how much the charge grows or lesses (so +2 -> 0 charge means 2 electrons are being transferred). Then, for a final answer on how many e- are used in a reaction, we want the number of electrons on each side of the reaction arrow to match, so we can multiply the halves separately until we have the same whole number of e- on both sides, and this will become our final number of e- transferred.

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:00 am

To find this, look at the charges on each side of the equation. Say if one side has a neutral charge of zero, and the others charge is 4+, you would add 4 electrons to the zero side to balance the equation and make it 4+. Hope this helps!

Sera Aintablian 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sera Aintablian 2E » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:05 am

You would have to calculate the charges of each element in each compound on both sides to see where the electrons would be transferred! ( i.e. which side they would be on to equal the other side). I used this chart from sapling throughout the homework which helped! https://sites.google.com/site/chempendix/oxidation

Sabine Salvucci 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sabine Salvucci 2E » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:54 am

To find out how many electrons to put on each side of the equation, you first have to calculate the charges on each side of the equation after you have otherwise balanced it. Then just add electrons so the charges on both sides match. For example, if the charge of the reactants is +2 and the charge of the products is -1, you would add 3 electrons to the reactants. Hope this helps!

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:38 am

You can calculate the number of electrons to put on each side by finding the charges present on each side, and you would add electrons to each side accordingly to balance the charge for the overall equation. Hope this helps!

Brianna Chen 3F

Postby Brianna Chen 3F » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 pm

First, you want to balance the elements in the equation (ex. using H2O or OH-) and then from there you would look at the overall charge of each side. Whichever side has the more positive overall charge, you would add electrons to it to equal the opposite side.

Adrienne Yuh 2B

Postby Adrienne Yuh 2B » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 pm

I usually look at the oxidation numbers and see the total number of "charges" that can be balanced with electrons.

Akemi Karamitsos 1E

Postby Akemi Karamitsos 1E » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:04 am

After identifying the half reaction and balancing all elements, you can identify the total oxidation charge on both sides of each half reaction. Add the appropriate number of electrons to the side that has a more positive charge so that both sides become equal. Do this for both half reactions. Then ensure the number of electrons for both half reactions is the same.

Liam Bertrand 3

Postby Liam Bertrand 3 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:15 am

Use the charges given and the oxidation numbers to figure out how many e-'s to add

Will Skinner

Postby Will Skinner » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:04 pm

First you balance the half reaction. Then find the net charge on both sides and add the correct amount of e- on one side in order to balance the charge.

Chudi Onyedika 3A

Postby Chudi Onyedika 3A » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm

Look at the charges on each side and apply enough electrons to a side to make the charges on both sides equivalent.

Abhinav Behl 3G

Postby Abhinav Behl 3G » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:25 pm

In order to figure out how many electrons to add to a half-reaction, simply calculate the total charges on both the reactant side and product side. If you notice that one side is more positive than the other side, then you would add electrons to this side in order to make the charges on both sides equal.

jessicaosuna_1F

Postby jessicaosuna_1F » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:31 pm

I look at the difference in oxidation number for each half-reaction individually and then find the least common multiple to get the reaction balanced.

Daniela Santana 2L

Postby Daniela Santana 2L » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Hi! I usually first identify which half-reaction is the reduction one and which is the oxidation one. I also write down the oxidation numbers of each side of each half-reaction. Once the half reaction is all balanced and you're deciding how many electrons and where to put them, I revisit the half-reactions original oxidation numbers. The change in oxidation number is usually the amount of electrons needed. When dealing with the reduction half-reaction you usually put it on the left side of the reaction. For oxidation half-reactions you usually put it on the right side.

Colin Squire 3B

Postby Colin Squire 3B » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:57 pm

By looking at the total charge of the reactants to the total charge of the products, we can determine how many electrons were transferred in order to find the "n" value. It is also important to note that in some cases (like acidic and basic solutions) water, H+ and OH- can change the overall charge.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:26 pm

Take a look at the half reactions and balance out the electrons to make sure that there is the same amount of electrons on both sides of the redox equation.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”