Exercise 6L Question 7

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vivian Leung 1C

Exercise 6L Question 7

Postby Vivian Leung 1C » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:14 am

Hi,

For this question (Exercise 6L Question 7), I am confused as to tell which substances are the reactants and which substances are the products when writing the 1/2 reactions in part b and part c.

Also, a specific question for:

Part c: Where did the KOH (aq) come from (see galvanic cell).
Attachments
6L. 7 Solution.jpg
6L Problems.jpg

Sophia Hu 1A
Been upvoted: 8 times

Re: Exercise 6L Question 7

Postby Sophia Hu 1A » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:26 am

For parts b and c, determining the reactants and products for each half reaction is based on the overall reaction.

For instance, for part b:
We find the half reactions for H+(aq) and OH-(aq)
O2(g) + 4H+(aq) + 4 e- --> 2H2O(l)
4OH-(aq) --> O2(g) + 2H2O(l) + 4e- (I flipped this half-reaction because this will get us the overall reaction we want)
overall: 4H+ (aq) + 4OH-(aq) --> 4H2O(l) which can simplify to H+ (aq) + OH-(aq) --> H2O(l) like the reaction given in the problem
We can also verify this is the correct orientation by calculating the Enaught_cell and it does end up giving + 0.83V.

A similar process can be followed for step 3 where we find the half-reactions that contain Cd(s) + 2 Ni(OH)3

I think what might be confusing is finding the half-reaction for the oxidation reaction since Appendix 2 gives all the reduction half-reactions. For part c determining this is easier. For instance Cd goes from Cd(s) with an oxidation number of 0 to Cd(OH)2 with an oxidation number of + 2. Therefore, Cd was oxidized and lost 2 electrons. Therefore, we need to find the reduction half-reaction that includes Cd(OH)2 and flip the reaction to make it an oxidation half-reaction which would result in Cd(s) being a reactant and Cd(OH)2 being a product which matches up with the overall equation. We can then easily find the reduction of Ni(OH)3 by finding its reduction half-reaction and leaving it the way that it is as Ni(OH)3 is the reactant in the half-reaction and Ni(OH)2 is the product. We should then verify that this chosen reduction and oxidation half-reactions will give an overall positive Enaught_cell and it does.

I hope this helps!

Ellison Gonzales 1H

Postby Ellison Gonzales 1H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:29 am

Sophia Hu 1A wrote:For parts b and c, determining the reactants and products for each half reaction is based on the overall reaction.

4OH-(aq) --> O2(g) + 2H2O(l) + 4e- (I flipped this half-reaction because this will get us the overall reaction we want)
overall: 4H+ (aq) + 4OH-(aq) --> 4H2O(l) which can simplify to H+ (aq) + OH-(aq) --> H2O(l) like the reaction given in the problem
We can also verify this is the correct orientation by calculating the Enaught_cell and it does end up giving + 0.83V.

A similar process can be followed for step 3 where we find the half-reactions that contain Cd(s) + 2 Ni(OH)3

I think what might be confusing is finding the half-reaction for the oxidation reaction since Appendix 2 gives all the reduction half-reactions. For part c determining this is easier. For instance Cd goes from Cd(s) with an oxidation number of 0 to Cd(OH)2 with an oxidation number of + 2. Therefore, Cd was oxidized and lost 2 electrons. Therefore, we need to find the reduction half-reaction that includes Cd(OH)2 and flip the reaction to make it an oxidation half-reaction which would result in Cd(s) being a reactant and Cd(OH)2 being a product which matches up with the overall equation. We can then easily find the reduction of Ni(OH)3 by finding its reduction half-reaction and leaving it the way that it is as Ni(OH)3 is the reactant in the half-reaction and Ni(OH)2 is the product. We should then verify that this chosen reduction and oxidation half-reactions will give an overall positive Enaught_cell and it does.

I hope this helps!

This was super helpful, Sophia! Thank you so much!

Ellison Gonzales 1H

Postby Ellison Gonzales 1H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:31 am

I was wondering if anyone knew where the KOH came from? I’m not sure if it’s a typo or if it has a purpose. I was also wondering where the solo Ni(s) came from in the cell diagram? Is it because it’s a solid metal and so it can be used as the electrode?

Ellison Gonzales 1H

Postby Ellison Gonzales 1H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:32 am

This question also specifies that it is a galvanic cell, so I was wondering if we are to treat this problem any differently or if there are any differences in the process compared to the other types of cells? Thanks!

Vivian Leung 1C

Postby Vivian Leung 1C » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:12 am

Sophia Hu 1A wrote:For parts b and c, determining the reactants and products for each half reaction is based on the overall reaction.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”