Balancing Reactions with elements besides O and H

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jamie2002

Balancing Reactions with elements besides O and H

Postby Jamie2002 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:17 pm

I was confused on how to set up problems that require more than just adding H2O, OH-, or H+. An example is self test 6k.1A. How do you come up with the half reactions? Are you supposed to just ignore the "extra" species and count them as spectator ions?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.33.44 PM.png

Jeffrey Hablewitz 2I

Re: Balancing Reactions with elements besides O and H

Postby Jeffrey Hablewitz 2I » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:03 pm

Because HNO3 dissociates completely in solution, they can be written as aqueous ions in the chemical formula. In balancing the oxidation half-reaction, it becomes clear that NO3- is not one of the products of the reaction- the question is somewhat misleading when it suggests that Cu(NO3) is being formed in the reaction. In reality, Cu2+ is formed in the reaction, NO, and H2O are formed in the reaction.
The half reactions are:
Oxidation: Cu(s) --> Cu2+(aq) + 2e-
Reduction: NO3- + 4H+ + 3e- --> NO + 2H2O

Hope this helps!

Jamie2002

Re: Balancing Reactions with elements besides O and H

Postby Jamie2002 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Jeffrey Hablewitz 2I wrote:Because HNO3 dissociates completely in solution, they can be written as aqueous ions in the chemical formula. In balancing the oxidation half-reaction, it becomes clear that NO3- is not one of the products of the reaction- the question is somewhat misleading when it suggests that Cu(NO3) is being formed in the reaction. In reality, Cu2+ is formed in the reaction, NO, and H2O are formed in the reaction.
The half reactions are:
Oxidation: Cu(s) --> Cu2+(aq) + 2e-
Reduction: NO3- + 4H+ + 3e- --> NO + 2H2O

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! This helped a lot, I was really confused.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”