Katy Austin 1K

Cl2O7 --> ClO2-

Postby Katy Austin 1K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:12 pm

How would you balance the half reaction (in a basic solution): Cl2O7 --> ClO2-
I swear I've been following all of the steps but can't do it for the life of me

Giselle Granda 3F

Re: Cl2O7 --> ClO2-

Postby Giselle Granda 3F » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:39 pm

The first thing I did was balance the chlorines. After that I balance the oxygens by adding water to the right side, and then I balanced the hydrogens by adding water to the left side. Since adding more water to the left side added more oxygens to that side, I added hydroxides to the right side (since it is in basic solution), and it worked out. The overall balanced reactions I got was:

6H2O + Cl2O7 --> 2ClO2 - + 3H2O + 6OH-

I'm pretty sure there are other methods, but this is what I use, hope it helps!

Katy Austin 1K

Postby Katy Austin 1K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Giselle Granda 3F wrote:The first thing I did was balance the chlorines. After that I balance the oxygens by adding water to the right side, and then I balanced the hydrogens by adding water to the left side. Since adding more water to the left side added more oxygens to that side, I added hydroxides to the right side (since it is in basic solution), and it worked out. The overall balanced reactions I got was:

wow thank you so much! and you can cancel out the H2Os right? and make the left side just have 3 and the right side have 0?

Katy Austin 1K

Postby Katy Austin 1K » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:55 pm

Giselle Granda 3F wrote:The first thing I did was balance the chlorines. After that I balance the oxygens by adding water to the right side, and then I balanced the hydrogens by adding water to the left side. Since adding more water to the left side added more oxygens to that side, I added hydroxides to the right side (since it is in basic solution), and it worked out. The overall balanced reactions I got was:

wait but I still don't think the charges line up... the left side has a charge of 0 and the right side has a charge of -10

Sid Panda 3A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sid Panda 3A » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:18 pm

This can also be simplified to 3H2O + Cl2O7 + 8e---> 2ClO2- + 6OH-.

The charges should also balance out, which is why i added 8e- to the left hand side of the rxn

rita_debbaneh2G

Postby rita_debbaneh2G » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:06 am

1.) Make sure all elements that are not oxygen or hydrogen are balanced. So add a stoich coefficient of 2 in front of ClO2-.
2.) Make sure the oxygens are balanced. Add H2O wherever necessary to do so. SO because there are 7 oxygens on the left and we now have four on the right, add 3 H2O on the right to make it equal.
3.) Lastly, this case, make sure charges are equal. There is a charge of 4- on the right, so add 4 e- on the left.

Return to “Balancing Redox Reactions”