Weeks 2, 3, 4 - Question 13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Weeks 2, 3, 4 - Question 13

Postby 205957986 » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:17 pm

i dont know how to go about solving question 13. I dont understand how to classify the wave patterns based on the Bohr orbits of the hydrogen atom.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Weeks 2, 3, 4 - Question 13

Postby Chem_Mod » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:37 pm

For me this is listed as question 16, but I believe you mean the one that reads "The diagram shows an electron orbit that has been 'cut and wrapped' to better show the electron wave. Classify the wave patterns according to whether or not they are compatible with" the description given.

So, in order to be compatible with this picture, the wave patterns pictured below need to be able to make a continuous pattern if you wrapped them end to end in a loop. If the pattern does not end at the same location it began, or if the direction of the line at the end is not the same as the direction of the line at the beginning, then you can't loop it to make a continuous pattern. In addition, you need to have only one wavelength/frequency/amplitude in order to fit with our definition of a standing wave! If any of these change in the pattern, it is also not compatible with this description.

These factors ultimately rule out 4 of the 6 patterns, leaving behind 2 that are compatible with the picture described because they could be looped to make a perfectly continuous wave pattern with only one consistent wave shape.

Return to “Properties of Light”